...could easily replace me in all my endeavors, but you be the judge...
Thursday, July 07, 2005
8 Days to Happiness
...8 days until the release of J.K. Rowlings 6th masterpiece, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

I cannot tell you how excited I am. wow. I cant wait. Someone calm me down. Please. I beg you.

In reality, I realized today that really this is all Im looking forward to in my immediate future. Though I am not quite as geekafied as I was when The Order of the Phoenix came out a few summers ago, this is one thing that I can lose myself in every time. I wouldn't mind getting lost for a while in something that makes me happy and permeates my brain for days on end. That's how these books are. If you haven't read them, I urge you to give it a whirl...its not joining the masses, its an experience that you're missing out on. Not to mention an entirely new language full of fun to say words! Check it out fans! (click on HP Pronunciation Guide on left bar).

I got a very excited email from Kevin a couple days ago titled "10 Days! Woo hoo!". I'd been so wrapped up in myself, I'd forgotten. I've pushed so much down, and sadly, HP was one of those things! His email and enthusiasm, in light of this year, made me miss him, as that was something we celebrated together with utterly open nerdiness. Two copies would arrive on the day it came out and he was insanely overzealous in tracking the prepaid order from Amazon. I knew when I got home there would be two copies (he wasn't feeling the whole 'sharing thing') for us to get started on that night. It was the one thing he made time for, made arrangements for. It took me what felt like centuries to even get him to pick up The Sorcerers Stone, but once he did, from that point forward, we shared an alarming case of Harry-mania.

Because Im a much slower reader and didn't have the time or energy to stay up all hours of the night reading, we often found that we would have to separate for days at a time as to not ruin it for one another. If I wasn't reading and he was, Id hear noises from the other room...gasps, girlish squeals, and the occasional, "Oh my gawd, no WAY!" which would make me run into the room and beg, "What?!" and he would change his entire demeanor to unimpressed, and say, "Nothing...I cant tell you. I'm sorry." haha Tease! Of course I'd have killed him if he'd told me and ruined it, but I'd still ask. When I was reading and he wasn't (mainly due to the fact he was finished), he would hear my reactions from upstairs and would run to the top of the stairs and yell, "What part are you on?!" and I would tell him. Every time, it was met with, "Ohhhhh...hmmm. Keep reeeeeading!!!" in this sing-songy taunt telling me that I was about to hit a major shocker. That just the thing with the Harry Potter books...there's always a shocker in every chapter. These books are page turners. Every one of them.

So get ready everyone to see the image above, everywhere you go; grocery stores, doctors offices, pools, camps, offices, restaurants, etc. You're going to see people with their noses buried in the Half-Blood Prince (that sounded weird eh?). Undoubtedly...if you stick around, you're bound to hear a few inflections..."Whoooaaaaaaa..." Some will snap back into reality, some will not. Hopefully I won't.

So count me in as one of the "unreachables" come July 16th (that's 8 days from now, if you werent picking up on the whole "title thing"). After that weekend though, I will have to come back into my real life where I do NOT, in fact have magical powers; I'm not an honour witch at Hogwarts; I dont play Quidditch for Griffindor; Harry, Hermione and Ron are NOT my best friends, but thankfully...I dont live with the Dursleys and it's ok that I don't know the Expecto Patronum spell to keep the Dementors out of my bedroom. whew...

As for my current stupor you're all in objection to: Though it will be hard, I will try and stay up on the blogging, friends. That'll be my contribution to society in lieu of answering the phone, the door or your emails. Ha. Try to love me anyway?


19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and can I get a "whoop whoop" from all the HP readers please? Let Mami Laura know who you are.

(also, click on my link above for a sneak preview on HP-THBP)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not much on this blog thing but since thelauralee needs some cheering up I can say that I too am a HUGE Harry Potter fan, which is why I am keeping my name anonymous. I can't wait for the new book. I'll be counting down with you.

Blogger John Holland said...

Harry Potter rules!

And you better keep blogging. Don't make me come up there and smack you...not really, I'd never hit a lady. :)

Blogger Lindsay said...

Okay, I'll admit, I've never read any of the HP series books...MAYBE I'll give it a go...but only if you lent them to me....

Blogger Laura Lee said...

*Thank you LISA. I like comments. I like Santa Claus. I like Peter Pan. I like Wizard of Oz. (making a joke reference about the movie, "A Christmas Story"...when Ralphie is in line to see Santa and that weird kid is in line with him...who later freaks out in front of Santa). Anyway...I like you too. :)

We'll have book club once it comes out ok? Call me and we'll dicuss it n stuff. Oh no wait! We can go to dinner or something at the 4100 Club and talk about it hon. Sloppy Joe night maybe. ;) Pencil me in.

Blogger Laura Lee said...

I like spankings. I like Harry Potter. I like Howard the Duck. I like John. ;)

Lindsay you hookster...if I have to tell your sympatico ass one more time to take my paperback HPs and read them, Im going to come to your house and read them TO you. I'll do all the voices in an English accent too and all the creatures, Ill do them like weird made up freaky voices (but not like the "Mr. Lonley" bug from that song on the radio that you hate). Wait...this sounds like a COMMERCIAL to get me to do that! Omg that would be fun!

Who wants to do this? Or am I just a loserbaby? Chris...I need my book 3 back...I have all but Book 3 (POA) and mom said you have it. Also, do you want Book 6 (HBP) for your b-day? Your Sweet 25th is coming up you Leo, you! grrrrr

Anyway-Linz: Do it. Do it.

Blogger Laura Lee said...

Omg Im so excited I have to comment like a MAD WOMAN! haha (mood swing, if you havent noticed). I think Im going to read The Goblet of Fire this week to get ready for 6! YES! That will keep my mind busy. Wow. Thank God for little blessing like this. Good timing.

In other news...my mood is much improved, bc I have a very sweet friend as a roommate. I told her I was a little down before I got home, and she put little messages all over the house in secret places with funny, sweet notes. The one on my bedroom mirror has a guy holding a big fish and it says: Dont be down, youre quite the catch! The one in the downstairs bathroom is a crab and it says: Dont be crabby unless youre going to let me put Old Bay on you and smack you with a mallet! ;) Sounds kinky. And the one in my bathroom is a big starfish and it says: Youre a real star baby! Theres one more in the house and she says I have to find it. I cant find it...so it will be like a fun surprise when I do!

haha...thank you Nikki! :) That made me really happy.

Blogger sage said...

The cynic in me wants to know how you are so sure this will be a masterpiece if it's to be released in 8 days... Of course, I never read Harry Potter (I did read Tolkien a long time ago, does that count?) Interesting blog you have-but poor monkey...

Blogger Laura Lee said...

Well Sage, mainly because the first 5 were superb and only got better as they went on. I understand that the author created the story line for all seven books before she even wrote Book 1, so naturally, I can safely assume that Book 6 will in fact live up to the first 5, if not exceed them in quality.

Try them out...then come back to my blog and tell me they werent excellent. Never heard anyone say, "oh I tried to read them and I just couldnt get into them." I feel that person has no imagination and never dreamed of anything other than Super Mario Brothers.

Tolkiens books were a huge influence on The Harry Potter Series. You might even find a hint of an influence of Star Wars in there too. J.K. Rowling created an alternate world full of new languages, creatures and concepts and integrated them into the modern world. Its so creative youll often times find yourself wondering if maybe its real, and we, the muggles (non magic folk), just havent discovered it yet....like UFOs.

Ok...Im going to take my nerd medication now. :P

Blogger TD said...

Can I add that heather sucessfully geekified me in the last year. I cannot wait to read this book! one of my employees actually asked me if she could have off next Wednesday to grewad this book! How could I deny her?!? I gave her off right away. Under the pretext that she would give me the book the next day so I could read it, haha!

So if I can actually wait till the next day, I can read this book for free and not feel like a fag for having it in my home.

Blogger TD said...

p.s. I am a big nerd and fuckup

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget half blood!! I am 100% full blood GryffinWHORE!! Nobody makes me bleed my own blood like J.K. Rowling. I am Harry Potter's slave!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you guys cant see the full name of the last commenter, here it is as listed in my email...for your enjoyment. ;) I'm pretty sure this person is a sibling of mine...and likely it’s a female...and likely she is more than 1 year old...

Commandment 11: Thou shalt obsess over Harry Potter..... done and DONE!

Blogger heather said...

HP in the HIZZOUSE!!!!!!!!

okay, we must all give props to the Harry Whore who got Miss Laura to start reading the books in the first place.....yours fuckin truly. yes, it's true...no one can ever say i didnt do my part to change the world. lol.

more importantly, I AM SO GD EXCITED I CAN BARELY TAKE IT! i was reading up on #5 last nite and had to do a little Luminos! spell to get some reading light after the sun went down. you're jealous, i know. what can i say, we cant ALL be Bitchy Witches.

Laura Lee, you are not allowed to see GOF on film with anyone but me! Ya'll bes' recknize....dont make me put a spell on you...

Blogger heather said...

ps. Looooove purple and green together! that cover rocks.

Blogger Laura Lee said...

You bet! Erin has to come too. I have "arrangements" with her as well. Chris prolly wants to get in on this deal as well...haha This is gonna be a caravan!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great talking to you on Friday. As I said I am counting the days until the book comes out too. Going to read the last book to refresh the memory. Have watched the movies several times in the last few months. Just can't get enough of HP. Charlie will know that my nose will be stuck in the book until it is finished. He hates when I find a good book because I forget about everything else!! Oh well, it doesn't happen often.

Blogger Laura Lee said...

So I should go check Mom's bathroom for my Book 3? No thanks! I want that bitch back Chris! Seriously...its my fav.

I want to have a HP party...who would come if I had one? You have to have read the book to get in. Nikki, you better get to readin...

Nikki recently borrowed "Angels and Demons" from me and shes having a hard time getting thru it, b/c its not quite like the Davinci Code (she thinks). I actually liked it better...but anyway, my point is that I have the HPs sitting downstairs on our shelf and she hasnt read them!

Come to think of it I dont know that I really would consider Nikki and Lindsay best friends anymore. I mean they dont even share the joy of Harry Potter with me. We're so distant...

Blogger deafknee said...

heh nice to see someone so enthusiastic about harry potter! i've been so caught up with everything i'd almost forgotten about it!! *horror*

Post a Comment

<< Home