...could easily replace me in all my endeavors, but you be the judge...
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Conjunction Junction, What's Your Function?
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, how's that function?
I got three favorite cars. That get most of my job done.
Conjunction Junction, what's their function?
I got "and", "but", and "or", They'll get you pretty far.
"And": That's an additive, like "this and that"."

But":That's sort of the opposite, "Not this but that".
And then there's "or":O-R, when you have a choice like "This or that".
"And", "but", and "or", Get you pretty far.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?

Hooking up two boxcars and making 'em run right.
Milk and honey, bread and butter, peas and rice.
Hey that's nice!
Dirty but happy, digging and scratching,Losing your shoe and a button or two.
He's poor but honest, sad but true,Boo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!...

I KNOW you all remember Schoolhouse Rock learning assistance ditties, right? Sadly, posted above is only half of this little song, created to help us understand conjunctions and not write run on sentences like those often times found in both my blog and in my professional work. Today, I am editing copy for my literature RE-written by PROFESSIONAL WRITERS and since I can't call them up and call them flippin idiots and sing this little song to them, I'm gonna share it with you, because Im SURE you alllllll know the proper way to utilize a conjunction, si?

Ugh! Its amazing to me the crap that people can write and then want to publish 10,000 copies of to the professional community! And on top of it, I already WROTE the copy...they were "tweaking" it with their paid "professionals". I could get my little cousins to do a better job just based on the fact that they too are fans of SHR! The semi-jazzy, New Orleansesque sound of Schoolhouse Rock's Conjunction Junction were helpful to me as a child, teenager and college writer too. ;) I mean, yeah, it annoyed people in my college courses when I would start singing aloud, "EnCYClopediahhh! E-N-C-Y-C-L-O-P-E-Deee-eye-aaaaaayyy!!" in order to ensure the proper spelling of (and dont get me going on the earfood that is learning to spell Massachusetts, Mississippi and Connecticut! Thank you Schoolhouse!) So yeah, I'm a sucker for Grammar Rock dudes and dudettes. :)

I'm contemplating sending my "writers" the link to my other favorite Grammar Rock Hits, such as, Busy Prepositions (
Like a butterfly, or like a bee, like an ant, as busy as can be...the 'busy P's' are Prepositions!), Unpack Your Adjectives (I unpacked "frustrating" first...), Lolly Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here (Ready pop? Yep. Ready son? Uh-huh. Let's go!), and last but not least, Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla (who wouldnt want a KANGAROO to teach them pronouns?!).

Anyway, THANK YOU MOM, and thank you
Schoolhouse Rock for making learning fun. Little did they know that I am somewhat learning impaired in that I would mix songs up and frequently become frustrated by the fact that our last name is in fact the qualifying ending to an adverb, not to include adjectives such as UG-LEE and HOME-LEE, etc but rather, adverbs like QUICK-LEE and ANGRIL-LEE, etc. ;)

Ok, so laaa diiii daaaaa! You can go sing along with your old favorites too now that I gave ya the hook-up.
Here ya go! I hope SHR doesn't ask me who I gave the link to (DOH! I ended a sentence with a preposition, Jack Sheldon's gonna have my arse!)

Have a fabulous, conjunction filled day bloggies!
:) me

ps: if you have issues learning about our country's origin, multiplication tables, science, money (AMERICAN money thank you), or computers (not really including video games), then BE SURE to visit
SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK, boiiiiiiii!

pss: Ultimately I am thanking DISNEY, which along with Coca-Cola and Ted Turner own the whole planet. Thank you planet owners! Now, could someone float this blog to my Ad Agency? Puweeeease? (j/k)

Songs of the Day...Mainly Dedications (favoring conjunctions of course...)
Sad BUT True - Metallica
Should I Stay OR Should I Go? - The Clash

Let's hear a few more in the comments section, what do ya say? Game on!


5 Comments:

Blogger Stargate Jumper said...

LauraLee!!!!
How could you forget:
With OR without you - U2
AND
Love AND Peace OR else - U2
OR
Call AND answer - Barenaked Ladies

Man, we didn't have these little songs in french. That would indeed make learning a lot more fun.

:)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case you didnt pick it up in the text (yuk yuk) ;) here is the link to ALL of the helpful Schoolhouse Rock Learning Tools. The first tool for me should have been learning that SCHOOOL HOUSE is two words, but hey...baby steps...

http://www.schoolhouserock.tv/

;)L

Blogger Nikki W*j*hn said...

Schoolhouse Rock annoys me.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nikki...you're so MEAN. Only come on my blog to say nice or funny things please. This is a nice place to be now and we'd like to keep it that way. I dont say I hate Southwest planes that look like the MD flag or Condoleeza Rice on your site! :(

Blogger Nikki W*j*hn said...

I LOVE SCHOOL OF ROCK!!!!
I WAS JOKING....







(not!)

Post a Comment

<< Home