...could easily replace me in all my endeavors, but you be the judge...
Monday, July 18, 2005
"Do the right thing."
Spike Lee is just about the ONLY Lee who will tell you that. ;) If you're planning (or not planning for that matter) to do something bad, naughty, irresponsible, indulgent, self-serving, frisky, risky or just flat out stupid, run it by a Lee first and if that particular family member of mine says, "Oh cool!", then you can pretty much assume you're meeting your goal. :)

Let's say for instance you have a huge job interview (or meeting rather) at 10AM in Washington, DC, which during rush hour traffic will take you at least an hour to get there, then find parking on 23rd Street in NW DC. On the eve of said interview you proceed to get sh*t-faced with your best friend and your family. But wait! What's the occasion? Your little twin baby sisters Baptism! What else, of course?! Yes, so this is a key example of where I, a certified Lee, did not, "Do the right thing."

Obviously Heather and I had a great time at the girls' Christening and an even better time at the "after party". I was so happy that Heather got a chance to meet the little sweeties and see how quirky and cute they are, as well as get obliterated as a fitting tribute to their journey into the world of Christianity. How apropos.. haha I told you guys...everything is a party with these people. For those of you who are familiar with the annual early summer brew that Fordham (Ramshead) makes just 9 kegs of and then sells at a rapid rate, mainly to my father, then you will know yesterday was an inportant day, as we drank all three jugs of Meibach that he'd been saving for a "special occasion". This is the stuff I told you about before, that he refuses to let me or anyone drink when visiting. Your welcome into his home always goes a little something like this, "Hi! So glad you're here! Make yourself at home! You're welcome to anything...oh except don't drink my Meibach and don't eat my squid." Check. Check. So he busts out the Meibach in celebration, by pouring Heather a LARGE glass of it, thus beginning her initiation into drunken singing and dancing. And can I just tell you that I'm not entirely sure of its alcohol content, but its in the neighborhood or 9%. This stuff will put you on your ass. Add to that, a buttload of Modelo, Molson Canadian and an ungodly amount of Dos Equis and Kirin Itchibach, and we finally rolled out at around the stroke of Midnight, after I drunkenly stressed two points, First, "I NEED A GD SANDWICH NOW!" and second, "I have an interview at 10Am and this sh*t it s big deal you drunk asses!" Giggles and agreement ensued. All dancing, singing, guitar playing, freestyle rapping and drinking stopped and very involved 'around the kitchen island' eating commenced.

So yeah...I was a bit...um...tired n' stuff this morning when I got up at 6AM to ready myself for the big event. I did find that since I planned to leave at 8AM (for a 10AM interview...I know, a bit insane but I do tend to encounter misfortune from time to time, not to mention its like a bazillion degrees outside and I had to have time to compensate for the extreme sweating I was bound to do in a suit), I found that I had an overage of time. So I tried to get ready slowly (also helps with the sweating). I even ate and went over my papers and did my hair all nice and professionally done up and still had time to lay on the couch and act neurotic with anxiousness for about half an hour. I'm about to walk out the door when, I get a phone call. The woman I was supposed to rendez-vous with is stuck in a New York City Airport. I think that's ironic, because Heather purposefully missed her train last night to stay an extra day (and because they don't let people that trashed get on trains) ;). So I've got one New Yorker here with me, but not the one who will award me the job! Bummer. (But I aint got nuttin but love for ya HH)

I'm so disappointed. :( Its not a big deal, and chances are that I should have stayed home and slept this one off anyway, but I was hoping to get an offer today. So Im sitting here in my suit (which is tight and Im pissed about that) and I decided to blog a lil just to let you all know, since I got a lot of sweet requests for phone calls directly after the interview was over. But I think Im going to climb back in bed with HH and go back to sleep. :( Thanks for all the well-wishings (and even the good luck calls this morning!). I was really hoping to have some big news for you today, but such is life.

You might recall that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry seems to think he's "Even Steven". Whatever mishap, trauma or misfortune he encountered, he'd quickly have something happen to return to homeostasis and restore what he'd lost, making him even. "I throw $20 out the window...I find $20 on the street later! I'm Even Steven!" Even Steven Jerry (and on many an occasion, "Bizarro Jerry") are kind of how I'm feeling right about now. I have a hang-over; my interview is cancelled. I plan to leave at 8AM but spend some time screwing off instead; her secretary catches me before I'm on my way into DC. I suppose being even isn't quite the worst thing in the world. :)

I'll let you know if anything progresses here...besides Book 6 of HP ;) I mean with the interview of course...

I'll try and get some pictures from yesterday up. The girls were SO flippin cute and really squirrelly too. Heather took a lot of pictures as well as video. All in all, I think she had a good time. ;) We'll just have to wait for her blog find out. I will say this...she at one point got a peak into the extreme insanity that is "The Lee's" when my father was telling a story where he was a scuba diving pirate, and proceeded to put on pirate costume accessories and squint his eye and say, "Arrrrrrrrrr matey!" a lot. She even captured in on film. Im so proud. ;) I was especially touched when she leaned over during the show and whispered to me, "OMG this is totally where you get it."

GET WHAT??? I don't act like that! errrr....umm...right?


4 Comments:

Blogger John Holland said...

Well, whenever the interview is...good luck! I'm sure you'll do great and get it. You've gotten this far.

Look on the bright side, she could have not called you and you drove all the way there to find out there was no interview today.

And check out my blog, I tell you why the Ramones are sooo cool.

Blogger TD said...

Good luck LL. I do have one question though. Won't starting a new gig limit your blogging and IMing time? Some culture shock is up around the bend I think.

Blogger heather said...

laura, i had the most fantastic time this weekend with your family and i DO hope they can come up sometime and enjoy the city with you, if you approve. hehe. thanks for such a fun time, i really needed it. i love you.

Blogger Lindsay said...

Sounds like you had a great time, glad to hear it. Whenever you get that next chance to meet up with this new company, I know you'll shine.

Post a Comment

<< Home