...could easily replace me in all my endeavors, but you be the judge...
Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Sometimes my job is silly...
I am missing you all, this is for sure. I am really missing being able to talk to you all hours of the day and blog my brains out. Now, I feel like I'm gambling with valuable minutes on the internet just to get this lil baby bloglet out. My duties are plentiful in my new job, but I had to do something interesting today, in the midst of my 4 zillion other time sensitive tasks, and that was, purchase this:

It's an orb. But you might have guessed that already. It's an ambient orb that somehow magically connects to the financial cosmos, senses the "mood" of the stock market and then glows accordingly. Oh and it also will give you the time, weather, traffic, your children's whereabouts and a tall skinny double mocha latte if you program it properly. Ok just kidding on that last part. Here, let me enlighten you...

"Decorative, yet practical, the Stock Orb is a beautiful glass lamp that glows different colors to indicate real-time changes in financial markets. It is continually updated to provide a calm, constant view of the health of the markets, weather forecasts, traffic and more. Just plug the orb into any standard power outlet and your Orb is up and running on a nationwide wireless network - no internet connection required.

The Orb will arrive automatically set to track the Dow Jones Industrial Average, glowing more green or red to indicate market movement up or down, or yellow when the market is calm. It can be customized to a set of free channels, such as market indices or weather in major cities. Optionally, you can upgrade to access more premium channels, such as your customized portfolio.

The Ambient Orb may look like a crystal ball on acid, but it's really more of a giant mood ring--plugged straight into the fluctuations of the stock market or anything else you care to track. The orb can be wirelessly configured to track any individual stock, any market index or your personal portfolio. "People want information, but they don't want to invest a lot of time in getting it," says Ambient president David Rose. "This makes getting information a 'glanceable' thing."" Click here for literature on THE ORB.

Ok, so now were pretty up to speed on "the orb", so it's time for my thoughts: What the hell is this thing? And what kind of brokers-dealers make "glanceable" investments? "Yes, one moment Mr. Trump, while I look into my crystal orb to see whether or not we should sell those shares of Tyco." You don't have to have an orb to know the answer to that one.

Before I bash the thing, let me admit that I found it when I was looking for random trade show giveaways for our booths in 3 upcoming shows. Yes...I have to purchase these. Three of them. I saw it and thought, "Hmm now that's different. We could plug that in at the booth and people could come over to register to win it, and see it changing colors...should the mood of the stock market shift... mid convention." Afterall...these are all broker-dealers and investors, so the audience is at least somewhat appropriate, right? If it were like an "Investing Tycoon Gypsies" conference we'd be all set.

Since I presented this idea to my team I've had to answer the following questions:

-But how does it KNOW? It's like...well how does it know what the stock market is doing?

-Does the info come trough the electrical cord?

-Can we get our name engraved on that?

I DON'T KNOW!?! But Now I have to find out. Silly.

So anyway, I better take off now party people, because I have some orb shopping to do immediately. This is official business folks, and I can't have you squandering my precious resources and time. ;) Hope you are all well! Miss you! I will have to look into getting an orb that tells me how all of you are doing!



5 Comments:

Blogger heather said...

ummmm as a giveaway, i say go for it! quite silly at first glance, but hey, it looks fun too :)

you should also check out the fun financial 8 ball:

http://www.prankplace.com/magicballs.htm

i purchased one for my last office christmas party and it went over really well.

i miss you dearly LL. we absolutely must talk soon. i cant believe our relationship has come to this! :(

(said in a very dramatic fashion as i slam the door behind me)

Blogger heather said...

ps. thanks...i've had f-ing Fly Me to the Moon in my head for a week now. more like Shoot Me.

love ya hon. :)

Blogger Lindsay said...

Sounds like you have a much more interesting job there than at TateAndale!!! Can't wait to finally TALK to you and see you and hang out so I can hear all about it in detail!

Blogger Stargate Jumper said...

Est-ce que t'as perdu la boule? Ask me and I'll tell you what it means... ;)

I hope I get to talk to you soon too. Like everyone else I miss you...

Blogger heather said...

where are you, giiiiiirl?! missin you so bad...

Post a Comment

<< Home